"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
-Homer J. Simpson

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Saskatchewan Election Predictions - Wrap Up

I made a series of 5 posts examining each of the 58 constituencies in the province of Saskatchewan and my analysis on the outcome of the next provincial election.

Part 1 - The South
Summary:

Sask Party: 9
NDP: 2

Part 2 - Regina
Summary:

NDP: 10
SP: 0
Too Close: 1

Part 3 - Central Saskatchewan
Summary:

NDP: 0
SP: 10
Too Close: 2

Part 4 - Saskatoon
Summary:

NDP: 7
SP: 2
Too Close: 3

Part 5 - The North
Summary:


NDP: 5
SP: 5
Too Close: 3

Province-Wide Summary:

NDP: 24
SP: 25
Too Close: 9


The seats to watch are the following ones:

Wascana Plains in Regina.
Humboldt
Yorkton
Greystone in Saskatoon
Meewasin in Saskatoon
Northwest in Saskatoon
Meadow Lake
Saskatchewan Rivers
Lloydminster


So as polling and other data comes out, I will be applying analysis to these 9 seats. Now the Sask Party does have a small advantage in that they only have to win 5 of these seats but the NDP have to win 6 of them (to form a 30-seat majority government) but the flip side of that is that 6 of them are incumbent NDP seats and only Wascana planes and Greystone do not have the incumbent MLA running for the NDP (but new candidates) .

I am not ready to make my final prediction about who is going to win the election yet, but I will say this: IT WILL BE CLOSE.

either side will be racking up an impressive win here, either the NDP will squeek through again with a small majority, or the Sask Party will manage to edge out enough to form the government by a couple of seats.

If the Liberals were at ALL competative, I would actualy predict a minority government again (like in 1999) but with the possible exception of Meewasin, they cannot win any seats so that probability is out.

It is going to be an exciting election, so stay tuned. (Oh yeah, my prediction for the call of the election is on the 16th of October so we are less than two weeks away)

4 comments:

lance said...

GPM said, "If the Liberals were at ALL competative"

Careful there GPM, you'll get John on here telling you to watch Regina, cause, you know, the Liberals been door knocking there for months now and working really, really hard this time.

:)

Good work. I'm not as sure as you are about the Saskatoon holds, but I've got nothing to go on but my gut. I'm going to wait until the call before I dive in.

Cheers,
lance

huffb1 said...

I still say humboldt is NOT a to close to call seat.

Prediction for Humboldt:

SP hold

Giant Political Mouse said...

Based on what huffb? Give me some actuall analysis and I might change my mind. But just saying, "I think it will" isn't really going to sway me :-)

huffb1 said...

Sorry I should have said that's my personal opinion.

It could possibly go either way.

I was just stating my opinion, I my have gone a little to far with it.

Your predictions over all are good.

Like Lance I am not as sure about your Saskatoon holds but still you did a good job with these presictions.