"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
-Homer J. Simpson

Friday, May 11, 2007

The impact of the Greens in the next Sask. election?

I was reading this post about the impact of the Green party on the Manitoba election and it got me thinking.

The green support is not much stronger in Sask than in Manitoba and although the left might be a bit more annoyed with the NDP her than there - I just don't see it being a big factor.

The greens didn't get more than 1000 votes in any seat in Saskatchewan and certainly didn't get even 10% of the vote last time around.

In my opinion the green vote is part "protest" vote, part "new party" vote, part "environmental" vote and part "left-wing" vote.

My prediction is that the greens will have as much of an impact in Saskatchewan as they are in Manitoba - which is to say, almost none.

4 comments:

berlynn said...

It's too bad the Greens in SK have this kind of attitude around them because their policies in a broad range of areas are far better than what the SK NDP offers. I'd rather see a Green-NDP alliance than a Sask Party government.

John Murney said...

I'm not terribly enthusiastic abou the Sask Party either.
Being good friends with some of the more active Green Party members in Regina, it is my observation that the Greens lack many things, the number one thing being organizational skills. When the people in the positions of power in the party are completely inept, it doesn't bode well for attempts to grow and build the Green brand.

lance said...

The Greens will capture _less_ vote than before.

When the entire platform seems to be against the three biggest drivers of our economy:

1) Oil and Gas
2) Uranium
3) Bio-Fuels

I think I can safely say they aren't speaking for the people, but to the people.

That ain't gonna fly.

Cheers,
lance

Giant Political Mouse said...

Thanks for the comments guys:

Berylnn: I don't disagree that the Sask NDP needs to be more green. They really, really, do. But I also agree with you that the Sask Party will be the absolute opposite of green. It's gonna be a tough election.

John: I agree with you as well, they really do lack organization. But more importantly, they lack a core group of people who "get it" and understand how to play the game. You can teach people to organize, you can't teach political "gut instinct"

Lance: I agree with you to (boy I am an agreeable fellow today). Over time the greens are going to have to learn HOW to sell their message b/c I think more people in Sask would give them credit if there was some decent tweaks to their policies.