"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
-Homer J. Simpson

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Round-Up of the David MacLean Trolling Controversy

So first of all, WOW! I am humbled that as many great people and bloggers linked to my post yesterday about David Maclean's trolling as did. I knew that this post was big, but I didn't know how bit it actually was.

A good technical explanation of the whole thing is here

But first of all, some trenchant analysis from James Bow (great blogger)


Of those 5000 comments (5003 as I write this), a quick search in Movable Type’s back end shows that I contributed 560 of them. And all under my own name. What I have not done, unlike certain members of the Canadian Taxpayers’ Federation is commented to my own posts under a pseudonym in order to make it appear that there was a vigorous community discussion going on. (Good lord, what a hoot!)
Yes, this is one of the first problems with David's "multiple personalities". I am prepared to accept that he has a right to his own blog and he can say whatever he wants there. But to post using a bunch of aliases to booster support for his own arguments is at best, silly, and at worst - unethical. Anyway, I wonder what his employers think about all of this (since, as I pointed out, most of his posts are made during work hours) I am guessing that they would rather he make posts that were wroth commenting on rather than trying to fake commentary to create the illusion that people actually care.

But if his employers are OK with this then I guess that's fine. That doesn't mean that the rest of us now have to take anything that is said by any commentator on the CTF blog seriously anymore - "Oh that's just David posting under a fake name" is the rule of the day.

If I was the head of the CTF I would be pissed that he has flushed away a valuable tool like their blog for getting their message out. Now it is just a laughing stock.

Next up is Robert McClelland

For the record I should add that I don’t particularly care if people use sock puppets. I just wanted to spread the information that the CTFers are cowards who hide their identities.
This is also a good point. Some of us have reasons for keeping our identities secret (more on this later) but why should David MacLean? Given that his job is making right-wing arguments in the media one would suspect that he is capable of standing behind his opinion. It is almost part of his job description.

One would suspect that even he knows that many of his posts cross the line and so feels compelled to hide behind a false name (or names). Again, one wonders why? Is it because he knows these posts might get him in trouble with his employer? I would assume that to be the case. So instead of not making posts that are over the line he just creates a false name and then says what he actually (presumably) thinks. Again, if his Director and "members" are OK with this type of behavior then fine, but I would think that the Taxpayers Federation would set a higher standard than this for their employees.

Maybe I am wrong.

This brings us to the Wingnutter

Now it is reported that David was using Sock Puppet BloggerID's to troll Progressive, Liberal and Left-Wing Blogs. When people caught him at he denied it, but now with his multiple personalities into one tight account the jig is up
David has been called on this tactic many times by many blog operators and has constantly denied this (see many of my links from yesterday to confirm this) . Now we know that he was lying - each and every time. Again, I guess if the Taxpayers Federation wants a known liar working for them that is fine - but one wonders what else he is lying about?

The policies of the Taxpayer's Federation?

The numerical analysis of government policy?

Anything else?

In my opinion, David has proven himself incapable of being taken at face value for anything that he says. Why should we believe anything that he says if his "true" comments only come out when he is blogging under a different name.

Again, if his boss and organization are fine with someone in their employee who is a known liar, who can't stand behind his own arguments and has made one of their communication tools the laughing-stock of the internet that is fine - that is there prerogative.

If it were me, David would be looking for another job - but whatever.

To agree with the Jurist - yes, David is having a bad day.

That brings us to the best point of all about this. Scott Tribe asks the following:

I’d like to hear a confirmation or a denial from him on what seems to be good evidence that GPM has produced, and if it is him, I’d like to hear him justify some of the stuff he was saying and posting anonymously about.
Indeed, as I pointed out yesterday David does have much to answer for and the perfect venue is coming up:

Tuesday, May 29th at 12:30 on CJME Mr. David MacLean will be on the air and people can phone in and ask questions. That will either be the John Gormley show or the Murry Woods show.

The number (at least for Gormley) is 1-877-332-8255.

I posted the list of questions that I wanted asked last night and I suggest people take a look at them before calling into the show (if that is your plan) .

I have one last point left to address. The only person that (sort of) came to David's defense (that I know of) was

Now. I understand that some people, people who use apostrophes as GPM does, really are stupid enough to believe that Maclean's comment could be interpreted as a defense of the Nazis.
To be fair, as I pointed out in my post, it was the National Post and Warren Kinsella that interpreted one of these points as "defending the nazis" I happen to agree and if that makes me stupid, I guess I am in good company at least.

He makes a second (better point) as well:

So far, we have the bloggers known as "Giant Political Mouse" and "Canadian Cynic" earnestly criticizing Maclean for blogging under an assumed identity
That's true I guess. However, I have one pseudonym "Giant Political Mouse" and I use that for all of my posts. Whenever I post on blogging tory sites or not. I disagree with blogging tories and I tell them so, but I defy you to find one BT who has ever accused me of "trolling" or behaving poorly on their sites.

In fact, in yesterday's post on this topic one of my readers made the following suggestion:

May I suggest swamping the CTF blog on David's latest post with questions about his trolling under sock puppets. He has been deleting mine and others comments but if we keep inundating the blog with comments, he won't be able to keep up and may after answer for his foolishness.
to which I responded:

I appreciate where you are coming from, but trolling his site just makes us as bad as we are claiming he is.

I think the public unmasking and subsequent shame should be enough punishment.
I will stand by my reputation as a gentleman when it comes to other people's blogs. On my own blog I might call you names six ways from Sunday, but I will be polite when I post on other people's blogs.

And that is the major difference. If you don't like what I have to say, or you think that what I have to say is of no value because I am anonymous then fine, don't read my blog. And I will leave you alone on yours.

It is not the anonymity of David that we have a problem with, it is his unacceptable attacks on our blogs. If he wants to pick a false name and start a false blog, fine, go ahead.

Besides, some of us might have a reason to be anonymous. For example, what if I work for the federal government? I have been fairly critical of Harper and the Conservatives and so if they knew who I was they might fire me. Should I lose my job over legitimate policy disagreements?

Perhaps. A case could be made I suppose.

But to compare that to what David is doing?

I don't think so.

Note: Check back here to see the result of today's radio show

Update: I bet that David does not show up on the radio: Here is a screen shot taken from his blog this morning:


And if you go there now you find that last comment has been deleted - He doesn't want anyone to know that he was going on the radio and would have to answer questions. (Obviously there were other comments that were deleted)

My guess? He is backing out of the radio spot.

SUPER-UPDATE: David is now trolling on my site (I wondered how long it would be until he showed up)

You will see, in the comments below, posts by a blogger called moneybags4me. You will note that this is one of the same posters that was featured in my post yesterday about David trolling all over the place. The links are here and here

Note that this "moneybags4me" seems to be obsessed with defending David MacLean.

You will take particular note that in the May 8th post - he gets called out as being a David MacLean sock puppet - and this is over a year ago.

Yet here he is today acting the same way, oh, and he is blocking his IP address.

How convenient.

Given the track record of David and his Legions of Sock Puppets I am 99% sure that "moneybags4me" IS David MacLean.

God, get a life, you loser.

41 comments:

Zorpheous said...

This Blogosphere event has been generating a lot of traffic and a lot of cross traffic as readers bounce between the links. I have seen a lot of traffic coming out Sask. in the last 18 hours.

It will be interesting to see if David will address the issue or just ignore it.

What will be more interesting to to see if any you guys out there can get to ask him a few questions today on the radio.

Right now his credibility is shot and the coin of his trade is credibility.

Moneybags4me said...

You guys make me laugh!

There are many ways to mask or redirect ones identity on the internet. Maybe it was David maybe it wasn't. But at the end of the day who really cares? I certainly don't first off because you can never be sure who it is, but most importantly because it is the argument that matters not who is making it.

But you all are so pathetic at countering even the lamest of arguments you go straight to personal attacks.

You're like a bunch of stuck up, gossipy school girls looking for someone to ostracize for kick's and giggles. Grow up already.

Zorpheous said...

I also took a screen shot late night, and a comment I left and another bloggers comment were also deleted. He is further destroying any credibility that has with his attempts to hide this on blog. Not sure if he is scared that his job might be in danger or if he just can't handle the mebarissment of the situation. Either way it doesn't bode well for him.

Seriously he would be way better off if he just admitted he was being a dink and a bit of blog troll, take his blogosphere lumps and move on. The longer he ignores this the damage he is doing to himself.

Seriously, this is just ass-hattery of the blogosphere, taking the slap on the wrist is way easier then letting this get blown out of proportion.

bigcitylib said...

Has anyone produced a semi-definitive list of pseudonyms? I'd be interested in looking back through my own blog and see if he's said anything outrageously stupid there.

Moneybags4me said...

By the way anyone who doesn't allow anonymous posting, filters their own blog commentaries and bans people from making commentaries they disagree with has no right to call anyone else a coward.

I'm thinking especially of McClelland and leftdog here who are infamous for their intolerance and intellectual cowardice when it comes to other peoples points of view.

Zorpheous said...

The pot says

"But you all are so pathetic at countering even the lamest of arguments you go straight to personal attacks."

About the Kettles,...

"You're like a bunch of stuck up, gossipy school girls looking for someone to ostracize for kick's and giggles. Grow up already."

Wow, a newly minted blogger ID with three views on it,... David is that you girlfriend? Damn beotch, that sockpuppet show is just like so yesterday,...

Can you maybe channel Tommy Douglas next for us?

Moneybags4me said...

Thank-you for instantly proving me correct Zorph.

Zorpheous said...

"Thank-you for instantly proving me correct Zorph."

So are you claiming you are not David? And the newly minted blogger ID is just some wild co-winky-dink?

Just go on the record Baggie with those questions.

Unfortinately your explaination,...

"There are many ways to mask or redirect ones identity on the internet. Maybe it was David maybe it wasn't."

Is not supported by the evidence, and since David is a spoke persons for the CTF, his coin of trade is credibility. His past actions and current avoidance of this situation speaks volumes about his character or lack there of.

Maybe the CTF doesn't care about his actions, and that would speak volumes about their credibility as well.

Moneybags4me said...

Lets go back to that 'Nazi' quote that you all are all so fond of.

"The famous Kristallnacht that horrified civilized opinion worldwide caused a grand total of 71 deaths. This in a nation of 70 million."

It didn't actually come from Maclean it came from Humberto Fontova who was comparing it to the atrocities committed by Che Guevara and pointing out the lefts hypocrisy when it comes to mass murderers.

The quote is not a defence of 'Nazi's' which anyone who reads it in it's entirety can clearly see.

But again you poor chaps can't make an argument because you know Fontova is right, that you idolize a brutal mass murderer by putting his mug on your tee shirts.

So you pull the quote out of context and try to pin it on Maclean instead of the guy who actually made the argument. Not only can you not argue the argument, you can't even attack the right guy.

It's pathetic.

Moneybags4me said...

As to the supposed evidence it is up to those making the accusation to provide the proof. And what has been presented so far is not unfortunately not overly convincing.

It sounds plausable but not certain. Which is all the left ever seems to require.

Zorpheous said...

Baggy,

When blogger forced the conversion of old blogger accounts to the new blogger 2.0, people with multiple accounts were merged together. Now blogger ID are link to master ID. People have also check their logs and cross reference this suspected ID in question to their posting IP's and the match.

So how much more proof are you demanding? Maybe David himself can clear this up by admitting or denying the actions,... yet he seems to very busy trying to avoid the situation.

I also notice you still question, so I will be plain in the Question, are David MacLean or not? It's eeither a yes or a no type question.

Moneybags4me said...

Zorph your spelling and gramar are such that your questions are far from clear(unlike your insults).

If the question is, am I David Maclean the answer is, no I am not.

Though with the conspiracy theories that you folks spin on a daily basis you will no doubt not believe me anyways.

Moneybags4me said...

If David denies the actions none of you are going to believe it anyways. So what is the point?

Zorpheous said...

"I also notice you still question, so I will be plain in the Question, are David MacLean or not? It's eeither a yes or a no type question."

errr, that shour read,...

I also notice you still haven't answered my question, so I will be plain in the Question, are you David MacLean or not? It's either a yes or a no type question.

Sorry, my bad

Moneybags4me said...

I will answer again. I am not David Maclean.

Zorpheous said...

"Though with the conspiracy theories that you folks spin on a daily basis you will no doubt not believe me anyways."

Wow, you paint with broad brush.

And once again, sorry about the crappy writing, like I said, my bad. But thanks for answering the question Baggie ;-)

Giant Political Mouse said...

Interesting that Money Bags for Me is notorious for defending David MacLean and many bloggers have accused him in the past of being a David MacLean sock puppet. (see some Buckdog posts from my first post on this topic)

Note: These accusations stated looong before my post.

Also, Money Bags 4 me is blocking his IP address.

David, you are soooooo transparent.

Unless Money Bags 4 Me removes the IP block and let's us see where he is coming from, his posts will be deleted.

Good luck on the Radio - David.

Zorpheous said...

"If David denies the actions none of you are going to believe it anyways. So what is the point?"

The point Baggie (may I call you Baggie?) is that it goes to his credibility. David has been caught before posting under multiple ID with the same originating IP address. With the merging of his Blogger accounts it is another nail in his credibility coffin.

Sorry Baggie you are trying to defend a position that can not be defended.

But just for giggles, lets assume this a some wild computer screw up and Blogger's conversion run a few weeks back accidentially tied the blogger ID of "the artist formerly known as" to David's (ignoring the fact that they post from the same IP address). If I were David, I would be demanding Blogger to fix this issue ASAP and I would post a clear and acurate message on the CFT blog that the error was Blogger and that the situation is looked into.

Yet that isn't the case.

Sorry Baggie the your position of "lets give him the benefit of the doubt" really isn't support by the facts. The account merger, the past post from the same IP address, his current avoidance of this issue and his deleting of comments on the CFT blog.

Giant Political Mouse said...

If you are not David MacLean then just let us see your IP. That is all I am asking.

Otherwise, no posts for you.

Zorpheous said...

Baggie's IP address (I'll leave the last oct out)

64.56.141.xxx

He seems to coming out of Manitoba, which could be the IP assignment location and not his true loaction, so does that IP address match David's?

you see Baggie even though this isn't my blog, you still leave IP tracks in my weblogs, which are Apache based and don't require Javascript like the blog counters.

Giant Political Mouse said...

Zorpehous: Just for shits and giggles, is that IP (whose number you seem to know) have anything to do with WiBand.com - that is based out of Manitoba and is a total David MacLean closet (where he keeps his socks)

Giant Political Mouse said...

Oh, THAT's gotta hurt

Zorpheous said...

Yup!

NetRange: 64.56.141.128 - 64.56.141.159
CIDR: 64.56.141.128/27
NetName: NETBLK-WIBAND-WPG-7
NetHandle: NET-64-56-141-128-1
Parent: NET-64-56-128-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2003-09-19
Updated: 2003-09-19

Busted David!

Zorpheous said...

Just for giggles

CustName: Wiband Communications
Address: 4-2130 Notre Dame Ave
City: Winnipeg
StateProv: MB
PostalCode: R3H-0K1
Country: CA
RegDate: 2003-09-19
Updated: 2003-09-19

NetRange: 64.56.141.128 - 64.56.141.159
CIDR: 64.56.141.128/27
NetName: NETBLK-WIBAND-WPG-7
NetHandle: NET-64-56-141-128-1
Parent: NET-64-56-128-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2003-09-19
Updated: 2003-09-19

RTechHandle: ZW59-ARIN
RTechName: Wiband Communications
RTechPhone: +1-204-633-6333
RTechEmail: ipadmin@wiband.com

Giant Political Mouse said...

Hey David, shouldn't you be getting ready for radio show and not posting all over my blog?

Zorpheous said...

Man, talk about a towel snap to the nads, man David that really has to hurt.

It's been fun people, no point in beat the corpse of David's credibility, it's already a greasy smear spot on the ground.

Giant Political Mouse said...

Big City Lib:

100% Known

David MacLean
Tommy Douglas
The artist formerly known as...
Moneybags4me

95% certain

Farmer joe
r.s. porter

(These might also be ran by other Taxpayer Federation people sometimes/always)

Possibly:

DARCEY

Moneybags4me said...

Okay geniuses, now link that IP address(which I wasn't hiding in the first place) to David Maclean.

You can't because there isn't one.

I am not David Maclean, but you all go right ahead and keep wishing that it is so.

leftdog said...

Hey David, what happended with your old profile here ???? forget the password???

You are busted - pathetic twit

Giant Political Mouse said...

"Okay geniuses, now link that IP address(which I wasn't hiding in the first place) to David Maclean. "

That IP is the IP that the "artist formerly known as..." used. That profile leads to David MacLean.

Dumbass.

You can post here all day David, but from now on you have to use your real name.

Giant Political Mouse said...

Nope, David. Post under your own name or not at all.

lenny said...

Hilarious. Ole Moneybags Maclean has "rescheduled" his radio appearance.

lenny said...

"it is the argument that matters not who is making it"

That's an interesting comment from a guy who went to all the trouble of inventing a bunch of different "whos" to make his arguements.

Somena Woman said...

Or, David has a friend typing for him... :)

Giant Political Mouse said...

The jist of the previous posts was that the person was typing while David was talking. Put aside the fact that David could have got another person, or, given that he was on the phone for the radio, just type it himself.

Here is the $1,000,000 question. Why the hell would moneybags4me go to all this trouble?

David, you are a desperate, desperate man.

Giant Political Mouse said...

Post under your own name or not at all, David. Thats the rule here. If you don't like it, then go back to having a six-way conversation with yourself on your own blog.

Somena Woman said...

David, you do know that by giving anybody your password, they could blog while you were on the radio. Michelle Malkin does it with her husband all the time.

Really.
She does.

janfromthebruce said...

Sweet!
Nice work Giant Pol Mouse and great backup zorpheous.

Giant Political Mouse said...

Post under your own name or not at all, David. Thats the rule here. If you don't like it, then go back to having a six-way conversation with yourself on your own blog.

Giant Political Mouse said...

As you can see, I have had to move to comment moderation to stop David from swamping the site with stupid comments.

I make this promise, I will post every comment, no matter how insulting to me, EXCEPT those from David's sock puppets. If David wants to post under his own name then I will put that post through no matter what it says.

Rob said...

Removing David's posts has certainly not prevented this thread from being swamped with stupid comments.